How to keep those precious dog toys 'squeaky' clean!
What to throw away
- Toys that have missing bits
- Anything that has been chewed beyond recognition
- Dismembered toys - i.e. limbs hanging off
- Anything that your dog is trying to eat - sometimes dogs try to eat the stuffing out of toys
Cleaning hard, plastic or rubber toys
- Break out the dish-soap and give these ones a good scrub
- If you are lucky enough to have a dishwasher you can put them in there without any detergent. The heat will kill off any germs or bacteria.
Stinky rope toys
Yes we've all been there the pup brings you his rope toy to play tug and suddenly you're overcome by that pungent stale damp smell!
- Microwave them! Yes I know that sounds odd but it works. Wet the toy then place it in the microwave for 1 minute - make sure you keep an eye on it.
- It will likely be hot so use caution when taking it out.
- You can always use the dishwasher trick again as well
- Get them in the washing machine!
- Not all toys will survive the washing machine so do think about that first. You can try putting them in a pillow case to help.
Most importantly NEVER use harsh chemicals such as bleach to clean your dogs toys. If they are that dirty - time to buy some more toys!